International Sauvignon Blanc Day30/04/2019
Celebrate International Sauvignon Blanc Day on the first Friday of every May. And this year, that falls on 3 May. To prepare you, here are 10 points to increase your knowledge of this wine.
Ten Points about Sauvignon Blanc
1. Sauvignon Blanc is a green grape variety originating in Bordeaux, France.
2. Its name is believed to have come from the French words "sauvage" and "blanc", meaning Wild White.
3. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions including France, Romania, Chile, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. Vineyards of Sauvignon Blanc can be found in Washington State and California in the USA.
4. Sauvignon Blanc is the eighth most planted wine grape in the world.
5. Robert Mondavi first used the term "Fumé Blanc" to describe Sauvignon Blanc in 1968. Today it is synonymous with Sauvignon Blanc in the USA, particularly oak-aged Sauvignon Blanc.
6. Sauvignon Blanc has at least 68 other names.
7. Sauvignon Blanc is a crisp, dry, refreshing white wine. The flavour ranges from grassy to tropical fruit. Cooler climate wines often produce wines with flavours of grass and green peppers, whereas wines from warmer climates have more tropical fruit notes.
8. Sauvignon Blanc was one of the first fine wines to be bottled with a screwcap in commercial quantities.
9. Consume Sauvignon Blanc young, as it does not benefit from ageing.
10. Pair Sauvignon Blanc with fish, cheese (particularly goats cheese), herbs and sushi.
Recommended Sauvignon Blancs
Here are three Sauvignon Blancs we suggest for your International Sauvignon Blanc Day celebrations!
Sauvignon Blanc 2018
Light-straw with a green hue and bright clarity. Lifted aromas of grapefruit and lemon zest, with subtle notes of stone fruit, mown grass and red capsicum. Layers of citrus and passionfruit on the palate with an underlying core of wet rock minerality. This wine has a fine texture, with a long refreshing finish.
Fumé Blanc Napa Valley 2014
Loire Valley style Sauvignon Blanc with grassy tones and underlying minerality. Zingy and refreshing.
Sauvignon Blanc 2018
The Rickety Bridge Sauvignon Blanc has everything one looks for in a South African Sauvignon Blanc. Fresh tropical fruits with a crisp acidity and touches of grass on the nose.